PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT SCENARIO
Inventors and Eagle Innovations will work together through the following sequence, depending on the current stage.
1. NEED RECOGNITION – Is the function new, or how is it being done now?
How much would a company be willing to pay for something new or better to do it?
2. IDEAS for SOLUTIONS – List all conceivable ways of accomplishing the function,
besides the way you currently have in mind.
3. MARKET RESEARCH – How big is the market? What products are serving the market need now? List all categories
of industry that might be potential markets; consider variations of design for different market segments.
4. PATENT SEARCH – What similar products have been patented? (Only 5% of patented products reach the market; the
other 95% must be searched out of the patent files.) What design ideas could be legally taken and incorporated form existing
patented drawings? Eagle Innovations does the patent searching.
5. PRODUCT DESIGN – Steps 5, 6 & 7 may be done by either Eagle Innovations or the Inventor, but preferable in a
cooperative effort. Steps 5, 6 & 7 go around in a loop until the design is perfected and/or costs are optimized.
6. PROTOTYPING – then design modifications.
7. TESTING – then more design modifications.
8. COSTING – is considered beginning in the design phase. Cost is influenced by alternative manufacturing methods and
by production and sales volumes.
9. PRICING – New industrial products that will save companies money will be priced to reflect the value of those
savings, with maximum margins for Eagle Innovations and maximum royalties.
10. MARKETING – Initially, new products will be direct marketed through Industrial Equipment News (IEN) and/or
other industrial new product publications.
11. MANUFACTURING – Eagle Innovations is planning to have an in-house manufacturing facility. However, products
that require electronics will be sub-contracted out to other appropriate manufacturers. The primary source will be nearby
Kalow Technologies. www.kalowtech.com
12. PATENT APPLICATION - A lower cost Provisional Patent Application allows 12 months to test-market the product,
etc. By then the Final Patent Application must be filed. Eagle Innovations will handle both.
13. INVENTOR’S ROYALTIES – There are two options for licensing your invention*. (A) If Eagle Innovations
manufactures and markets it, you will be offered a 5% royalty (on the selling price). Eagle Innovations will incur all costs;
you will not be asked to pay for anything. (B) If Eagle Innovations licenses it to another company, you will receive 50% of
the royalties that Eagle Innovations receives. (However, if all product development costs are not recouped by an up-front
payment from that company, royalty sharing will not begin until the break-even point.)
*The third party investor would want a portion as well so this is only hypothetical.